The City of Brevard, NC seeks a dynamic communications professional to manage the city’s push towards accessibility and transparency. The Communications Coordinator will be tasked with ensuring that:
• The city’s communications foster understanding of city goals, programs, and services.
• All the city’s written publications be substantive, accurate, and easy to understand. • All public engagement be well publicized and conducted in a way that’s productive, so that public contributions are an integral part of all city projects.
• All appropriate technology platforms are used to their fullest potential to extend the reach of the city’s public communications. • All information continues to be disseminated effectively on traditional platforms.
• The city organization maintains strong relationships with other local groups that promote Brevard, and that through collective efforts the Brevard brand is kept strong.
Position will also be responsible for the following duties:
o Maintaining effective media relations; responding to media inquiries and scheduling and coordinating press conferences and/or interviews for elected officials and staff.
o Drafting, editing, designing, publishing, and distributing informational, educational, marketing and outreach materials targeted to a wide variety of target audiences.
o Attending a wide variety of City functions and community events to support strategic communications efforts and promote the city.
o Serving as a resource for staff on the use of communication and engagement tools.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Strong written communications skills, as demonstrated by authorship of works published in newspapers, magazines, blogs, industry newsletters, outreach campaigns, or other comparable publications. Candidates may be asked to submit a portfolio during the selection process.
• Experience with technology tools -websites, social media, engagement apps, hardware, etc.- both using them and maintaining them Brevard seeks to be, if not on the cutting edge, at least in the same decade as current technology trends.
• Familiarity with trends and best practices in the communication industry. Hiring Rate Grade Minimum Grade Maximum Annual $48,762 $51,200 $73,143
QUALIFICATIONS: • Bachelor’s degree in public administration, marketing, communications, public relations, computer science, or related field, and at least one year of related experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENT: This position will require the ability to work evenings, weekends, and/or holidays on occasion to support efforts associated with meetings and special events.