The North Carolina Department of Transportation is undertaking tow major projects on Asheville Highway on the City’s busiest commercial corridor:
- R-5800: an access management project that will close the center turn lane from Fortune Cove Road to North Caldwell Street, approximately 1.5 miles, and will include at least three roundabouts
- R-5799: intersection improvements of Asheville Highway intersections at Deaver Road and at US 64/276/NC280 that will convert the intersections to roundabouts
The City has hired Mosaic Civic Studio to design betterments for the Pisgah Forest gateway roundabout as well as the entire corridor leading into downtown Brevard. Mosaic will collaborate with City staff to develop corridor improvement recommendations along the public right-of-way of Asheville Highway from Deavor Road to Caldwell Street, including the following elements:
- A lighting style will be developed that can be coordinated throughout the corridor to provide unity, safety and improved aesthetics.
- A coordinated landscape concept will be developed to provide unity and enhancement along the entire corridor.
- Locations to connect Estatoe Trail along the highway corridor will be explored and identified.
- In order to convey the conceptual recommendations, Mosaic will develop photo-realistic renderings showing proposed corridor improvements, and will propose three perspective renderings to express the vision and recommendations.
The recommendations, at this stage, will be conceptual in nature and not construction drawings. These recommendations and deliverables can be used to convey the vision to the public and prepare for STIP inclusion with Division 14 NCDOT.